ScreenCraft Comedy Script Contest
Announcing the 2nd Comedy Script Contest, open now — for FEATURE and SHORT screenplays.
For television pilot entries, see our PILOT LAUNCH TV Script Contest here.
Whether you have a romantic comedy or an action-comedy blockbuster, we want to read your script. Big or small, we want to read smart movies with strong command of the craft and lots of heart. Winner receives $1,500 cash and exposure to some of the top comedy production companies in Hollywood! We’re looking for fresh comedic voices – in feature length and short screenplays. Enter your script today!
The 2014 jury features Hollywood’s hottest comedy producers:
- Mark O’Connor, producer at Green Hat Films (THE HANGOVER, PROJECT X, DUE DATE)
- Alex Plapinger, executive at Montecito Picture Company (I LOVE YOU MAN, UP IN THE AIR, OLD SCHOOL, NO STRINGS ATTACHED)
- Billy Wee, executive at Happy Madison (Adam Sandler’s company)
- Dave Rath, manager at Generate (clients: Patton Oswalt, Kyle Kinane)
- Joe Farrell, executive at Funny or Die (owned by Yahoo and Will Ferrell). He is a Co-Executive Producer on Comedy Central’s @midnightand a graduate of USC’s Peter Stark Producing Program.
- Sean Covel, producer (Napoleon Dynamite, Beneath, Broken Hill)
- Taylor Benzie, manager at Kaplan/Perrone
- Ben Mekler, staff writer at Nerdist Industries
- Olivia Gerke, Manager at 3 Arts Entertainment, the management company behind such comedy greats as Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Aziz Ansari, Louis CK, Maya Rudolph, Kevin Hart, Mindy Kaling, George Lopez, Matt LeBlanc, BJ Novak, James Franco, Charlie Day, Ray William Johnson and many more!
- TBD Literary Manager at Mosaic Media Group which represents many of the industry’s top comedy writers and talent, including such comedy giants as: Will Ferrell, Judd Apatow, Andy Samberg, Isla Fisher, Olivia Munn, Will Forte, Nick Kroll and many more!
First place feature screenplay winner will receive $1,500 cash prize + introduction to agents, managers and producers!
- Winner will also receive a phone consultation with comedy writer David Mandel (EuroTrip, The Dictator, Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm)!
First place comedy SHORT screenplay winner will receive $1,000 + a phone call to discuss your project with Joe Farrell, development exec at Funny Or Die!
- Top 5 finalists will receive a page of expert feedback from one of our industry judges.
- All entries are eligible for optional feedback from a studio-trained professional reader.
- Early entry for features film scripts is $29 until June 1st when it increases to regular $49.
- Final deadline is August 1, 2014.
- Short early entry fee is only $15. Limit 20 pages. After June 1st it increases to regular $25.
- Multiple entries are welcome.
- All semi-finalists in both the feature and short categories will receive a 1-year subscription to WriterDuet Pro real-time collaborative screenwriting software, courtesy of our sponsor.
WriterDuet Pro offers everything in the free version, plus offline writing, analytics, customizations, Google Drive backups, production tools, and much more! Easily import/export many formats including PDF, Final Draft, Fountain, and Celtx. WriterDuet is a proud sponsor of the 2nd annual ScreenCraft Comedy Script Contest.
Write together, write away.™
By clicking “Submit” you agree to the Terms of Service below. Please click only once. Upload can take up to 30 seconds. If you get an error message, please wait several minutes, refresh your browser and try again. Today is a popular day to submit! Thank you.
TERMS OF SERVICE
- Submissions are accepted via electronic submission on this website only, between April 1st, 2014 and August 1st, 2014.
- There is no limit to the number of projects you may submit.
- Entries must be received on or before the deadlines and submission fee payment must be made made in full at time of the submission. All entry fees are non-refundable.
- The script’s cover page must contain contact info (email and phone) for the writer(s).
- All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s).
- Material must be submitted by the writer. Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, with consent of the other(s).
- If a writing team is chosen as a winner, prizes will be given to the person who submits the project. Each team is responsible for dividing or sharing the prize money.
- Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entered material are not allowed.
- It is recommended that original material be registered with the WGA or The Library of Congress before submitting to any competition.
- All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders.
- Must be 18 years of age or older to enter.
- Writers who have earned more than $50,000 (or equivalent currency) from professional writing services for film or TV in the preceding year are not eligible. (Contest winnings not included.)
- All persons from anywhere in the world are eligible; however the material submitted must be in English.
- All material submitted to other competitions or contests are eligible.
- There are no requirements as to when the material was written.
- The material submitted must not be encumbered by any obligation to, or option held by, a third party prior to entering the competition.
- Any submitted work that becomes optioned, published, produced or purchased between the time of submission and the end of the judging period will no longer be eligible.
- Material should be submitted in its proper format, font, spacing and margins.
- Adaptations are ineligible unless the underlying rights are owned by the writer or the work is in the public domain.
- Feature Screenplays longer than 130 pages will not be eligible.
- All material must be submitted as a PDF or it will not be eligible.
Share and Enjoy