ScreenCraft Comedy Script Contest
Announcing the 2nd Comedy Script Contest, open now — for FEATURE and SHORT screenplays!
Early entry deadline is May 15.
Whether you have a romantic comedy or an action-comedy blockbuster, we want to read your script. Big or small, we want to read smart movies with strong command of the craft and lots of heart. Winner receives $1,500 cash and exposure to some of the top comedy production companies in Hollywood! We’re looking for fresh comedic voices – in feature length and short screenplays. Enter your script today!
The 2014 jury features Hollywood’s hottest comedy producers:
- Mark O’Connor, producer at Green Hat Films (THE HANGOVER, PROJECT X, DUE DATE)
- Alex Plapinger, executive at Montecito Picture Company (I LOVE YOU MAN, UP IN THE AIR, OLD SCHOOL, NO STRINGS ATTACHED)
- Billy Wee, executive at Happy Madison (Adam Sandler’s company with such hits as DEUCE BIGALOW: MALE GIGALO, PAUL BLART: MALL COP, ANGER MANAGEMENT, FUNNY PEOPLE, GROWN UPS, THE GOLDBERGS)
- Dave Rath, manager at Generate (clients: Patton Oswalt, Kyle Kinane)
- Joe Farrell, executive at Funny or Die (owned by Yahoo and Will Ferrell). He is a Co-Executive Producer on Comedy Central’s @midnightand a graduate of USC’s Peter Stark Producing Program.
- Sean Covel, producer (Napoleon Dynamite, Beneath, Broken Hill)
- Taylor Benzie, manager at Kaplan/Perrone
- Ben Mekler, staff writer at Nerdist Industries
- Olivia Gerke, Manager at 3 Arts Entertainment, the management company behind such comedy greats as Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Aziz Ansari, Louis CK, Maya Rudolph, Kevin Hart, Mindy Kaling, George Lopez, Matt LeBlanc, BJ Novak, James Franco, Charlie Day, Ray William Johnson and many more!
- TBD Literary Manager at Mosaic Media Group which represents many of the industry’s top comedy writers and talent, including such comedy giants as: Will Ferrell, Judd Apatow, Andy Samberg, Isla Fisher, Olivia Munn, Will Forte, Nick Kroll and many more!
First place feature screenplay winner will receive $1,500 cash prize + introduction to agents, managers and producers!
- Winner will also receive a phone consultation with comedy writer David Mandel (EuroTrip, The Dictator, Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm)!
First place comedy SHORT screenplay winner will receive $1,000 + a phone call to discuss your project with Joe Farrell, development exec at Funny Or Die!
- Top 5 finalists will receive a page of expert feedback from one of our industry judges.
- All entries are eligible for optional feedback from a studio-trained professional reader.
- Early entry for features film scripts is $29 until May 15 when it increases to regular $49.
- Final deadline is August 1, 2014.
- Short early entry fee is only $15. Limit 20 pages. After May 15 it increases to regular $25.
- Multiple entries are welcome.
- All semi-finalists in both the feature and short categories will receive a 1-year subscription to WriterDuet Pro real-time collaborative screenwriting software, courtesy of our sponsor.
WriterDuet Pro offers everything in the free version, plus offline writing, analytics, customizations, Google Drive backups, production tools, and much more! Easily import/export many formats including PDF, Final Draft, Fountain, and Celtx. WriterDuet is a proud sponsor of the 2nd annual ScreenCraft Comedy Script Contest.
Write together, write away.™
By clicking “Submit” you agree to the Terms of Service below.
Please click only once. Upload can take up to 30 seconds. If you get an error message, please wait several minutes, refresh your browser and try again. Today is a popular day to submit! Thank you.
TERMS OF SERVICE
- Submissions are accepted via electronic submission on this website only, between April 1st, 2014 and August 1st, 2014.
- There is no limit to the number of projects you may submit.
- Entries must be received on or before the deadlines and submission fee payment must be made made in full at time of the submission. All entry fees are non-refundable.
- The script’s cover page must contain contact info (email and phone) for the writer(s).
- All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s).
- Material must be submitted by the writer. Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, with consent of the other(s).
- If a writing team is chosen as a winner, prizes will be given to the person who submits the project. Each team is responsible for dividing or sharing the prize money.
- Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entered material are not allowed.
- It is recommended that original material be registered with the WGA or The Library of Congress before submitting to any competition.
- All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders.
- Must be 18 years of age or older to enter.
- Writers who have earned more than $50,000 (or equivalent currency) from professional writing services for film or TV in the preceding year are not eligible. (Contest winnings not included.)
- All persons from anywhere in the world are eligible; however the material submitted must be in English.
- All material submitted to other competitions or contests are eligible.
- There are no requirements as to when the material was written.
- The material submitted must not be encumbered by any obligation to, or option held by, a third party prior to entering the competition.
- Any submitted work that becomes optioned, published, produced or purchased between the time of submission and the end of the judging period will no longer be eligible.
- Material should be submitted in its proper format, font, spacing and margins.
- Adaptations are ineligible unless the underlying rights are owned by the writer or the work is in the public domain.
- Feature Screenplays longer than 130 pages will not be eligible.
- All material must be submitted as a PDF or it will not be eligible.
Early entry deadline is May 15th. Final deadline is August 1st. The top 5 finalists in the feature category will be chosen based on the following criteria: (i) originality; (ii) story; (iii) characterization; (iv) dialogue; (v) visual inventiveness; and (vi) overall impression. The top 10 finalists will be notified by email and may be contacted by interested industry representatives, such as managers, agents or producers. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the judges’ verification of eligibility. Any entrant may be deemed ineligible at the sole discretion of ScreenCraft. The judges and their companies are in no way responsible or officially affiliated with this contest. The selected 2 winners will be notified by e-mail on or about September 15th, 2014. Finalists may be required to sign and return within five (5) business days of receipt a notarized Affidavit of Eligibility and a Release and Indemnification and any other documents that ScreenCraft or any other partner may require before receiving prize payment. Failure to respond to the initial notification within ten (10) days or return of notification will result in disqualification. We reserve the right to amend these rules at any time.
COPYRIGHT AND OWNERSHIP
ScreenCraft or any other partner, employee or agent associated with this contest claims no ownership nor first right of option to any original screenplay submitted to this contest. All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders until and unless other agreements are made.
All entries are non-refundable.
ENTRY CONDITIONS AND RELEASE
By entering this contest, each participant agrees to release and hold harmless ScreenCraft LLC, its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, Prize Contributors, Sponsors, Judges, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising or promoting the Contest and Promotion, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s Entry, participation in the Promotion and/or acceptance or use or misuse of Prize; provided however, that such release will not apply to any commercial exploitation of the script by a Released Party in violation of your rights under applicable copyright law; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the ScreenCraft LLC and its Sponsor, agents and employees from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys fees) relating to an entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or entrant’s use or misuse of Prize.
Share and Enjoy