ScreenCraft Comedy Script Contest
THIS CONTEST IS CLOSED FOR ENTRIES.
CONGRATULATIONS TO MATTHEW HIRSCHHORN, GRAND PRIZE WINNER!
For our Comedy TV Script Contest, click here.
ScreenCraft is tickled to announce our 2013 Comedy Screenplay Contest! Whether you have a nuanced indie romantic comedy or a hilarious effects-driven action-comedy blockbuster, we want to read your script. Winner receives special consultation with a manager at Mosaic Media Group, the top comedy management company in Hollywood. Here are the details:
- Judging panel includes 3 development executives at Lionsgate, Paramount and Sony.
- First place prize is $1,000 + phone consultation with acomedy lit manager at Mosaic Media Group which represents the industry’s hottest comedy writers and talent, including Jim Carrey, Will Ferrell, Judd Apatow, Andy Samdberg, Isla Fisher, Olivia Munn, Nick Kroll and many more!
- Runner-Up will receive $100 + a phone call with a top literary manager/producer.
- Top 10 finalists will receive a page of expert development notes from one of our judges.
- Submission fee is $49. Multiple script entries are welcome. Final submission deadline is 12pm PST on October 1st 2013.
Additionally, First Place and Runner-Up will receive a complementary SCREENWRITING SOFTWARE package from Celtx! This includes:
- Script for Mac OS X
- Script for iPad/iPhone
- 1 year subscription to Edge online workspace
By clicking “Submit” you agree to the Terms of Service below.
Please click only once. Upload can take up to 30 seconds. If you get an error message, please wait several minutes, refresh your browser and try again. Today is a popular day to submit! Thank you.
TERMS OF SERVICE
- Submissions are accepted via electronic submission on this website only, between March 1st, 2013 and October 1st, 2013.
- There is no limit to the number of projects you may submit.
- Entries must be received on or before the deadlines and submission fee payment must be made made in full at time of the submission. All entry fees are non-refundable.
- The script’s cover page must contain contact info (email and phone) for the writer(s).
- All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s).
- Material must be submitted by the writer. Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, with consent of the other(s).
- If a writing team is chosen as a winner, prizes will be given to the person who submits the project. Each team is responsible for dividing or sharing the prize money.
- Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entered material are not allowed.
- It is recommended that original material be registered with the WGA or The Library of Congress before submitting to any competition.
- All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders.
- All writers are eligible. However, a writer who has earned more than $50,000 (or equivalent currency) from professional writing services for film or TV in the preceding year is not. (Contest winnings not included.)
- All persons from anywhere in the world are eligible; however the material submitted must be in English.
- All material submitted to other competitions or contests are eligible.
- There are no requirements as to when the material was written.
- The material submitted must not be encumbered by any obligation to, or option held by, a third party prior to entering the competition.
- Any submitted work that becomes optioned, published, produced or purchased between the time of submission and the end of the judging period will no longer be eligible.
- Material should be submitted in its proper format, font, spacing and margins.
- Adaptations are ineligible unless the underlying rights are owned by the writer or the work is in the public domain.
- Feature Screenplays longer than 120 pages will not be eligible.
- All material must be submitted as a PDF or it will not be eligible.
The judging panel, selected by ScreenCraft or its representatives in its sole discretion, will include one screenplay development professional from each of these three studios or their subsidiaries: Paramount, Sony and Lionsgate, however these studios are in no way official sponsors or endorsers of this contest. A manager at Mosaic Media Group will consult the winner, however Mosaic is not officially affiliated with this contest. The top 10 finalists will be chosen based on the following criteria: (i) originality; (ii) visual inventiveness; (iii) story; and (iv) overall impression. The top 10 finalists will be notified by email and may be contacted by interested industry representatives, such as managers, agents or producers. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the judges’ verification of eligibility. Any entrant may be deemed ineligible at the sole discretion of ScreenCraft. The selected 2 winners will be notified by e-mail on or about November 1st, 2013, provided that by the contest deadline, a minimum of 75 entries have been received. If by the deadline (October 1st) less than 75 entries have been received, then all entrants will receive a full refund of submission fees. Finalists may be required to sign and return within five (5) business days of receipt a notarized Affidavit of Eligibility and a Release and Indemnification and any other documents that ScreenCraft or any other partner may require before receiving prize payment. Failure to respond to the initial notification within ten (10) days or return of notification will result in disqualification. We reserve the right to amend these rules at any time.
COPYRIGHT AND OWNERSHIP
ScreenCraft or any other partner, employee or agent associated with this contest claims no ownership nor first right of option to any original screenplay submitted to this contest. All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders until and unless other agreements are made.
All entries are non-refundable.
ENTRY CONDITIONS AND RELEASE
By entering this contest, each participant agrees to release and hold harmless ScreenCraft.org, its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, Prize contributors, Sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising or promoting the Contest and Promotion, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s Entry, participation in the Promotion and/or acceptance or use or misuse of Prize; provided however, that such release will not apply to any commercial exploitation of the script by a Released Party in violation of your rights under applicable copyright law; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the ScreenCraft.org and its Sponsor, agents and employees from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys fees) relating to an entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or entrant’s use or misuse of Prize.