ScreamCraft Horror Script Contest
The 2nd Annual ScreamCraft Horror Script Contest is open for entries! This year we’ve partnered with ShockTillYouDrop.com and our Hollywood judges are looking for the next fresh voice in horror screenwriting.
Enter before the final deadline on June 1st! We’re already reading.
Thanks to our official sponsors:
The 2014 jury includes Hollywood’s top representatives and producers of the genre:
- Ryan Turek, founder and editor of popular horror website ShockTillYouDrop.com
- Scott Henderson, agent at Paradigm Talent Agency, represents renowned horror filmmakers James Wan and Leigh Wannell (SAW)
- Andrew Wilson, manager at Zero Gravity, represents acclaimed horror writer Clive Barker (HELLRAISER, NIGHT BREED)
- Amotz Zachai, manager at Echo Lake Management, represents legendary filmmakers including master horror writer-director John Carpenter!
- Jessica Hall, Senior Vice President at Blumhouse Productions, the company behind micro-budget horror hits including The Paranormal Activity, Insidious, The Purge and Sinister franchises
- Lucy Mukerjee, Vice President of Production and Development at After Dark Films
- First place prize is $2,000 cash + a phone call with writer-director Scott Derrickson (Sinister, The Exorcism of Emily Rose)!
- Second place prize is $200 cash and a phone call with a top literary manager.
- All Top 10 Finalists will receive a page of development notes from one of our judges.
- All Top 10 Finalists will receive a free copy of Final Draft 9 screenwriting software ($250 value).
- All quarter-finalists will receive a full year membership to ISA Connect – courtesy of the International Screenwriters Association ($100 value).
- Regular entry fee is only $49 until June 1st.
By clicking “Submit” you agree to our Terms of Service below.
TERMS OF SERVICE
- Submissions are accepted via electronic submission on this website only, between February 14th, 2014 and June 1st, 2014.
- Entry fee for each screenplay is $29 until the early deadline on April 15th, and then $49 until final deadline on June 1st.
- There is no limit to the number of projects you may submit.
- Please include your name and contact info on the title page.
- Entries must be received on or before the deadlines and submission fee payment must be made in full at time of the submission. All entry fees are non-refundable.
- All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer(s).
- Material must be submitted by the writer. Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, with consent of the other(s).
- If a writing team is chosen as a winner, prizes will be given to the person who submits the project. Each team is responsible for dividing or sharing the prize money.
- Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the entered material are not allowed. Please be careful to enter the correct screenplay and double check for typographical errors.
- It is recommended (but not required) that original material be registered with the WGA or The Library of Congress before submitting to any competition.
- All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders.
- All writers 18 years of age or older are eligible. However, a writer who has earned more than $50,000 (or equivalent currency) from professional writing services for film or TV in the preceding year is not. (Contest winnings not included.)
- All persons from anywhere in the world are eligible; however the material submitted must be in English.
- All material submitted to other competitions or contests are eligible.
- There are no requirements as to when the material was written.
- The material submitted must not be encumbered by any obligation to, or option held by, a third party prior to entering the competition.
- Any submitted work that becomes optioned, published, produced or purchased between the time of submission and the end of the judging period will no longer be eligible.
- Material should be submitted in its proper format, font, spacing and margins.
- Adaptations are ineligible unless the underlying rights are owned by the writer or the work is in the public domain.
- Feature Screenplays longer than 140 pages will not be eligible.
- All material must be submitted as a PDF or it will not be eligible.
The judging panel, selected by ScreenCraft or its representatives in its sole discretion, will include one screenplay development professional from each of these three studios or their subsidiaries: Paramount, Sony and Lionsgate, however these studios are in no way official sponsors or endorsers of this contest. The top 10 finalists will be chosen based on the following criteria: (i) originality; (ii) visual inventiveness; (iii) story; and (iv) overall impression. The top 10 finalists will be notified by email and may be contacted by interested industry representatives, such as managers, agents or producers. Entrants may be required to submit further information to assist in the judges’ verification of eligibility. Any entrant may be deemed ineligible at the sole discretion of ScreenCraft. The selected 2 winners will be notified by e-mail on or about July 1st, 2014. Finalists may be required to sign and return within five (5) business days of receipt a notarized Affidavit of Eligibility and a Release and Indemnification and any other documents that ScreenCraft or any other partner may require before receiving prize payment. Failure to respond to the initial notification within ten (10) days or return of notification will result in disqualification. We reserve the right to amend these rules at any time.
COPYRIGHT AND OWNERSHIP
ScreenCraft or any other partner, employee or agent associated with this contest claims no ownership nor first right of option to any original screenplay submitted to this contest. All ownership and rights to the scripts submitted to this contest remains with the original rights holders until and unless other agreements are made.
Entry fees are non-refundable.
ENTRY CONDITIONS AND RELEASE
By entering this contest, each participant agrees to release and hold harmless ScreenCraft.org, its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, Prize contributors, the judges and their employers, Sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising or promoting the Contest and Promotion, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s Entry, participation in the Promotion and/or acceptance or use or misuse of Prize; provided however, that such release will not apply to any commercial exploitation of the script by a Released Party in violation of your rights under applicable copyright law; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the ScreenCraft.org and its Sponsor, agents and employees from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys fees) relating to an entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or entrant’s use or misuse of Prize.
Share and Enjoy